The Advisory Team for Environment, Food and Health (Advisory Team) is a radiological emergency response group tasked with providing protective action recommendations to state and local governments on behalf of its member agencies. The permanent membership includes representatives from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The permanent members may invite other agencies to participate in Advisory Team activities.
The Advisory Team was incorporated into the Nuclear/Radiological Incident Annex of the National Response Plan (NRP) in December 2005. The NRP has been replaced by the National Response Framework. The Nuclear/Radiological Incident Annex was revised in June 2008.
The Advisory Team’s mission is to provide coordinated advice and recommendations for the Federal, State, local and tribal governments in radiation emergencies.
The Advisory Team provides advice in matters related to:
- Environmental assessments (field monitoring) required for developing recommendations with advice from State, local, and tribal governments and/or the Federal Radiological Monitoring and Assessment Center (FRMAC);
- Protective Action Guides and their application to the emergency;
- Protective Action Recommendations using data and assessments from FRMAC;
- Protective actions to prevent or minimize contamination of milk, food, and water, and to prevent or minimize exposure through ingestion;
- Availability of food, animal feed, and water supply inspection programs to assure wholesomeness;
- Recommendations regarding the disposition of contaminated livestock, poultry, and contaminated foods, especially perishable commodities (e.g., meat in processing plants);
- Relocation, re-entry, and other radiation protection measures prior to recovery;
- Recommendations for recovery, return, and cleanup issues;
- Health and safety advice or information for the public and for workers;
- Estimated effects of radioactive releases on human health and the environment; and
- Other matters, as requested by the Incident Command or the Coordinating Agency.
The Advisory Team
- Makes protective action recommendations not decisions.
- Provides its coordinated technical and scientific advice through the Coordinating Agency.
- Bases its recommendations on science and best practices.
For more information about the Advisory Team, contact
Advisory Team Exercise and Outreach Coordinator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency