Do you have radioactive material for which you have had trouble finding an acceptable outlet?

The Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors, Inc. (CRCPD) offers assistance in finding affordable, legal disposition for radioactive material through:

  • Storage for decay
  • Adoption by an individual
  • Reuse by a device manufacturer
  • Reprocessing of the material
  • Acceptance by state or federal government
  • Commercial storage
  • Disposal of: Diffuse NORM waste, U or Th mine and mill tailings, Low-Level Radioactive Waste and Transuranic Waste

The CRCPD program has three aspects:

  1. Publications describing the various resources available to the custodian of an orphan radiation source or otherwise unwanted radioactive material,
  2. Assistance in obtaining help to secure and assess the material and in finding suitable outlets for it, and
  3. Funds for the disposition of radioactive material by a state, county, or city radiation control program

Staff Assistance
A loss, theft, or discovery of radioactive material should be immediately reported to radiation control authorities. The phone number for the appropriate authority may be obtained from CRCPD or from the state’s emergency communications center.

CRCPD staff will identify contacts at government agencies and commercial services for on-scene assistance with securing and assessing radioactive material.

The CRCPD will assist with finding, and in some cases funding, an outlet for unwanted radioactive material or related equipment such as radiation detectors or shielding.

CRCPD staff typically respond to each request within one working day, giving advice, offering contacts for on-site assistance, or sending information, as appropriate.

Where appropriate, CRCPD staff will assist in locating manufacturers and individual licensees that might accept the material, or for U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) acceptance, and will provide other assistance where needed.

These CRCPD services are provided to both the general public and regulatory agencies without charge.

To obtain staff assistance with radioactive material, contact:

E-mail: Russ Meyer (
Fax: 502/223-7026
Telephone: 512/761-3822

DOE requests owners to register their radioactive materials, noting whether in use or unwanted, at

Funds for Disposition of Radioactive Material
CRCPD can provide funds to state, county, or local radiation control programs for their disposition of discrete radioactive material if:

  • The owner cannot afford the cost of disposition, or
  • The owner should not be held liable for the disposition, or
  • The material was taken into custody by a radiation control program but the owner could not be traced, or
  • The material is an unacceptable risk of loss or theft.

This is accomplished under an agreement between the radiation control program and CRCPD. CRCPD pays vendors and CRCPD reimburses the radiation program for payment of Vendors.

The current program expands the scope beyond that introduced in 2001.